Saturday, October 25, 2008

Experimental Cheesecake

So. My parents are coming to town this weekend to kind of help take care of me and cheer me up through this tough time in my life. So yesterday I decided to buy a few special groceries for them since my mom prefers skim milk and my dad can't have any dairy at all--he is severely allergic to it, even a small amount would send him into anaphylactic (I know that's not spelled right but I cannot figure out how to spell it) shock and he could die. So I went to New Seasons Market, a local all-natural hippy type store where they sell tons of vegan and all-natural (and all-expensive) foods. I immediately asked for help in finding all the dairy free foods and they gave me a huge list of all the dairy derived ingredients that are commonly found in foods, as well as a huge list of foods they sell that do not contain dairy. Even most breads have dairy in them, and it doesn't matter if stuff has been cooked. Dairy = deadly. Mostly I just intended to buy some organic skim milk for Mom and some chocolate soy milk for Paw, as well as a good loaf of bread. But I had this brilliant idea... dairy free cheescake. Ohhh yeah. I already had all the ingredients for a regular cheesecake at home, but I thought to myself... why should all of us get to enjoy a delicious cheesecake while my dad sits and drinks his chocolate soy milk or Mountain Dew and wishing he had some cheescake too?! So I bought some Tofutti cream cheese, some Tofutti sour cream, and used our food storage soy milk (we don't really drink it, it's just there just in case... but I guess the idea of food storage is to cycle through stuff, huh...) to make him his very own, special cheesecake. I actually just pulled it out of the oven a few minutes ago, and it actually smells a lot like the dairy cheesecake!!! I am sooo excited to find out tomorrow how it tastes. I really hope he likes it!!! We'll all try some of it too. I will let you all know how it tastes. It might end up tasting really weird though... I tried a little of that cream cheese, and it has a funny taste to it... guess that's the tofu shining through!!




Cheescake right as it finished baking.




Fresh out of the oven.

1 comment:

marissa ivester said...

you make a very beautiful cheesecake! i hope it tastes as good as it looked!