So. It is Christmas Eve, and here I am writing a blog post. You can call me a loser if you like, but I don't feel like one. Even though my husband is working on Christmas Eve and I am home alone. I've been given time to reflect on the holiday, and it's nice.
Yesterday I got something in the mail I'd been really looking forward to: my Christmas present to ME!! I recently ordered a CD from a musician I adore, Cherie Call. For those who may not know, she is a not-as-well-known-as-she-should-be LDS singer. However, she used to work with my sister at Southwest Airlines, so I have personally met her. May not sound like a big deal since most of my readers probably don't know her anyway but I think it's pretty cool to say that I know Cherie Call. Cherie recently came to Hillsboro with Peter Breinholt and Sam Payne, other talented LDS musicians. I decided to take Michael on a date to the concert (I kept it a surprise right up until the night before when I had to ask him to print off the tickets at work since our printer was broken). The concert was Christmas themed (it was the Saturday after Thanksgiving) and I have to say I just loved it. I wasn't excited about Christmas until I heard them singing Christmas songs and I just felt the Spirit so strong. So I decided I really wanted to get her Christmas CD, Gifts. So I've been sitting and listening to it, on the verge of tears. It's amazing.
So, in case you're wondering about the title of this post, I will explain that now that I've yakked my head off about other stuff. This is the time of the night when I get tired and bored, and lonely without Michael, and I often turn to my close, personal friend, the TV. There are definitely some interesting, entertaining, and funny shows on TV nowadays. I personally enjoy House and The Office the very most, though I've been known to enjoy ER, Ghost Whisperer, and occasionally some of the different Law & Order shows or ones like them. We have never been subscribers of cable, we find it a waste of money on something that wastes your time. So we have been faithful users of the classic "bunny ears."
However, as hopefully everyone reading this already knows, TV as we know it is going bye-bye in two months. Oh, but don't worry, you can pay $50 per TV in your home to get this neat box that makes it so you can keep watching TV. Or heck, why not just spend thou$and$ of dollars on a brand new huge flat screen TV!! We've always wanted a nice big flat screen, now we have an excuse!! Right? Wrong. Michael and I decided when TV went out we would just keep one TV to watch videos.
Our other TV, the one that used bunny ears, went to Goodwill yesterday. This weekend spending so much time locked up in the home, we did a LOT of cleaning and getting rid of stuff we didn't want. Our room has been a disaster for most of the time we have been married, but we worked hard to clean and organize (and so far it has stayed that way!) it. But you know what, that huge TV looked really out of place on our big beautiful vanity. Now that all the junk was cleared off the vanity, the TV really stood out. So I told Michael that we should just take it to Goodwill. He kept asking me if I was sure (he never watches TV so he doesn't care one way or the other). I kept telling him yes, but if he kept asking me I might change my mind so we should just hurry and do it.
So, this is the hardest time of the night for me, as I'm just dying to go see what kind of fun stuff is on... there are probably fun Christmas specials of everything. But you know what? It's okay. It is possible to live without TV!! After all, a hundred years ago there was no such thing as a TV, so people made do without for thousands of years!! So I am keeping myself busy making Christmas goodies and I'm thinking of going and reading a book. Yeah!!
Merry Christmas everyone!!!
2 comments:
You know what people did without TV's right? That's why they had 15+ kids!!! LOL!! I'm really looking forward to New Year's!! Sorry I haven't commented the rest of your blog...This is the first I've had to get caught up. I really enjoyed your posts about the snow!! I can't believe your car spun!! OMG how scary!! We didn't end up getting chains for our car...Our car is a 4X4 and we didn't have to go out that much, and we really didn't have the $80 to drop right before Christmas anyway. I'll buy them when we don't need them...In June...And then it'll never snow in Oregon again!! Murphy's Law!! LOL!! Anyway, this is getting wayyy too long, so I'll TTYL!!
Yay for you liking house too! Anyways, for the future, having a bag of salt, or really cheap kitty litter in the back of your trunk is helpful. when you get stuck, you can put some of it down next the the tires and use that for traction. just FYI. Hope the rash Mike has isn't serious.
Post a Comment