Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Lost track of my captive days...

Oops... now I've forgotten how many captive days this is, he he!! I heard it was going to snow again Thursday and Friday but when I woke up this morning the snow had been just dumping out in those huge fluffy flakes!! So there is once again a LOT of snow. However, since today was a weekday and we had a lot of stuff to mail, we decided to venture out. So I guess even though there was a LOT of snow we weren't captive today.

I also decided to turn in my application to the local animal shelter to volunteer. I know, this may end up being one of the stupidest things I've ever done... I'm going to just want to bring home all the animals with me. I almost tried to talk Michael into letting us get this kitten that looked just like one of the kittens our cat had when I was really little. The big thing that keeps us from getting a cat, I think, is not knowing how our dogs would react. I wouldn't want to adopt a kitty just to have to bring it back because of my dogs.

The other thing that scares me about working in the shelter is animals getting put down. I can't even imagine coming in one day just to see that one of those sweet dogs has been put down just because they couldn't find it a home. Thousands of animals are euthenized every day, just because there are "too many" animals in the shelters, and not enough people adopting from shelters. There are also way too many backyard breeders and puppy mills. If you have to have a purebred you should go to a professional breeder. But if you want one of those fancy "hybrid" dogs, well, you should try a shelter!!! There are tons of wacky (but very cute and fun) hybrids in shelters. Anyway, I guess I just got up on my soap box. Let me step down. But not before I include some pictures of our shelter dogs.... just to demonstrate my point that there are plenty of cute, fun dogs in shelters.





Our puppy, Nacho. French Bulldog/Blue Heeler mix.
He looks a little like a mini Pit bull.




This is Frida. She is a Beagle/Jack Russell terrier mix.
She is really naughty, but very cute and sweet.



Grover, the we-aren't-really-sure-what-he-is mix.
He is so sweet and cuddly!!


Okay... well this post went in a different direction than I'd thought it would... but I sure like to tell everyone to adopt from shelters, hehe. Wish me luck in my new volunteering endeavor!! (I'll still be at the kindergarten too, it's just that school's closed for now!!)

No comments: