Thursday, July 17, 2008

Our July Adventures!!!

This month has been a pretty exciting month. I just started my new job almost 2 weeks ago!!! I am working for a very small business (there are 5 of us that work there, including my boss--the owner) called Old School Racing Embroidery. I am learning to run embroidery machines!!! Mostly I've just been embroidering hats because they are easier than shirts. After I get really comfortable with that I will probably move onto the shirts. I live close enough to my job that I can ride my bike if I want to... although I've only actually done that one time. I'm currently only working part time there. I really enjoy it though!! It's a lot more fun than I thought it would be, and my boss is laid-back and really nice. She actually runs the business out of her kitchen (the office) and her garage (where the embroidering happens). It's a really neat little business, but it's very high stress for her (and us as well).

Then of course, as you may have already seen from the last post, we just got a new puppy. He is just cute as ever, but I really need to work on training so he won't become a total menace when he is out of the cute puppy stage. It'll be pretty tricky training a dog in my spare time now that I have a job, but I'll figure it out... tons of people do it all the time. Because of our new little puppy, Mike spent this week rigging a fix for our old wooden fencing (wire caging type stuff--higher quality than chicken wire but lower quality than cyclone) so little wiggly doggies can't squeeze out.

Now today's adventure.... well, that was something I wasn't actually even here for. But I experienced the results of the adventure.... hang on, let me start from the beginning. A few nights ago... I believe it was actually before we had Nacho.... I was taking the dogs out sometime between 1 AM and 5 AM (I don't remember the exact time...). Well, I always used to keep Frida on a leash because she could squeeze her little body between gaps in the fencing (which have now been fixed). Grover, however, is too big to squeeze through. So anyway, this one night we go out, and immediately on the other side of the yard I notice a skunk running along our fence!!! Grover noticed at the exact same moment, and went running after it. I hollered at the top of my lungs: "GROVER!!! NO!!!! GROVER!!! NO!!!! GROVER!!! NO!!!!" He went after it, but luckily it just took off running and squeezed through the fence. Today, at 2 AM when I was taking Nacho outside, I turned on the back porch light right before I stepped outside, and saw a little skunk standing about 10 feet away from us. Nacho alerted the skunk of our presence, and the baby skunky moseyed off, squeezed up under the metal wiring and under the wooden fence. Well this morning after I had gone to work, Mike got home from work, riding his bike. As he was moving his bike to the backyard, he also saw the baby skunk, wandering through our garden!! I guess he figured the skunk would go away after awhile, so he let the dogs out. Unfortunately, the skunk was still there, and Grover took off after him. Grover took it right in the mouth. Not the skunk.... his spray!!!! As Frida had started closing in on the skunk and Grover, she took a bit of the stink as well. So as I walked into the house on lunch break, I caught a nasty whiff of skunk in my house, and found a note Mike had left. Fortunately he had bathed the dogs in a hydrogen peroxide solution, so they don't smell anymore. Unfortunately, Grover still has skunk breath......


I think he was after our veggies!!!




He really was just a little guy....




So cute but oh so stinky!!!!!

1 comment:

Sammie said...

skunks are deceptively cute, aren't they?