Tuesday, November 15, 2011

An... "interesting" infestation

On any given night, I get up at least twice to go to the bathroom. I have a night light in my room, the hallway, and the bathroom, so I typically leave the lights off. I can see well enough to do what I need to, stop in the kitchen for a drink, and go back to bed. So a few nights ago, I step over to the bathroom sink to wash my hands, and I step on something wet and squishy. I quickly wrack my brain trying to think what my toddler may have left on the floor that was wet and squishy, and I'm coming up blank.

So I flip the light on, and I find.... SLUGS. I am not kidding you, there were 3 live slugs on my bathroom floor, and I STEPPED ON ONE!! So do you know what I did after that? If you guessed "freak out so bad you almost went into a full-blown panic attack," you were right!! I got on the computer for a couple of hours to distract myself from it, because I was so skeeved out that there were four slugs INSIDE my house (there was a fourth one in the kitchen). And I had no idea where they were coming in from. I actually tried to get my husband to come home from work because of it. I was so freaked out. After a couple of hours of distracting myself, I decided maybe I should go back and try to do something about the slugs, and they were all gone but one. So I decided to salt it, and look for the others. For some reason I felt really guilty salting them, it just seems like a horrible way to go... but I have little mercy on creepy crawly home invaders of any type. And then, I found where they came from! Interestingly it was from an inside wall, where there was a hole in the molding. So when Michael got home he filled the hole with expanding foam. Problem solved!

...Or so I thought. I found two more slugs in the bathroom this morning. I didn't freak out this time, but I woke Michael up so he could help me find where they came from. What you have to do is try to find shiny spots on the floor, they almost look glittery. So we found a glittery spot near the molding on the other side of the old hole. Unfortunately, when we replaced our flooring a few months ago, the molding never fit back against the walls quite as well as it had before, and the nails just aren't holding it into the drywall. So it looks like we may need to break out the caulk and caulk around alllllll the molding throughout the entire house where the flooring was replaced. And here's hoping that works!! I am not a fan of finding slugs in my house!! Oh, and in case you're wondering, I picked the two up I found this morning with TP and flushed them.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

:X were they big?

Elijah Walker Family said...

EEEEWWWWWWww!!!! Sorry that you had to deal with it, but it's better than spiders like in our old apartment right?

mandy_moo said...

Amanda, no, they were pretty small. Thank goodness. If they had been banana slugs I would've REALLY freaked out...

Tawnya, I'm not sure what's worse, LOL

Russell and Mikelle said...

yikes thats horrible!! I would be so freaked out!