So, where to start...? Well, I don't think I ever got around to posting the biggest news... we had our 20 week ultrasound in November and found out we are expecting a healthy baby girl!! I was very shocked, I was SO sure we were having another boy (kinda like I was so sure our son was going to be a girl. I'm not very good at this!). We tend to make lots of boys on my side, and Michael's family makes lots of boys as well, so I thought we were sure to have another boy before we had any girls, but God had other plans! It took me a day or two to adjust to the idea since I had it in my head that we'd have another boy, but once the little girl clothes started rolling in and my husband reminded me I'd have someone to play Barbies with, it was just thrilling to think about having a little girl! We are struggling to agree on a name for her, though. We are really in the home stretch now, I hit 33 weeks today. That means I am considered full-term in four weeks--WOW!! I have so much left to do before she comes!! *cue panic*
Now, the not-so-good news. A couple weeks ago I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes (GD). That means I have to watch my diet really carefully (specifically carbohydrate intake) and poke my fingers 4x a day to test my blood sugar levels. Up to this point I have managed to control things just with diet modification, but today my levels were a bit ridiculous. I hope against hope it was a fluke but I am going to be even more careful over the next couple days and if things don't improve I will contact the dietitian on Monday. I also need to up the ante in the exercise department, I think that would help quite a bit. It's just tough to figure out a good exercise routine when you have a toddler to deal with. The good thing is, poking my fingers isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. But man, I really miss a lot of things... juice, brownies, the ability to eat whatever I want whenever I want... I really hope it goes away once the pregnancy is over, because I'm not sure if I am ready to deal with diabetes for the rest of my life.
Let's see... what else? Well, our little Booger turned two last month!! He astounds me with how smart he is sometimes. He has always been a big talker but you can actually understand a lot of what he's saying now!! Hehe!! He likes things that go--trains, cars, buses, trucks, airplanes, etc. He also really likes balls. We got him a little basketball hoop & ball for his birthday, and he seems to enjoy it pretty well. The ball is always disappearing though, so he likes to find other things to throw in the basket. He also enjoys "helping" around the house. This includes washing dishes, helping with laundry, scrubbing the toilet, and vacuuming, among other things.
Sometimes he asks to sit on the potty, and he will pee in the potty, but the couple times he pooped on the potty were basically flukes. Usually he asks to sit on the potty when it's bed time and I've got the lights out. He's trying to get out of going to sleep, the little stinker!! But I don't exactly want to tell him no when it comes to going potty (well, I do want to tell him no, because it's so hard to get out of bed! But I don't want to hinder progress). I'm not too worried about having two kids in diapers though, so it's not a big deal. No need to rush him.
He enjoys spending time with all his cousins & aunts & uncles. We are lucky to have some family close for him to play with. Most of them are quite a bit older than him, but he's got one cousin here who is younger than him, and he loves to give her hugs and talk to her. He really likes babies, which I'm hoping will last for awhile after his sister is born. I'm sure the novelty will eventually wear off though.
He really enjoys books, singing, and dancing, too. In fact, recently his dad let him listen to the song "I Feel Pretty" from West Side Story, and he liked it so much that he frequently requests it by singing "Prettyyyy!! Pretttyyyy!!" It is hilariously cute.
I could talk about my kid all day, but will spare you from having to read every single last little detail about him. So let's see... I guess what's left to talk about is me & Michael. Since my class ended I've been able to relax a little more, which is nice. I've got all sorts of sewing projects I wanted to finish before baby shows up though, and I'm not sure how likely that is. I think the diapers I can do, but it's that darn glider chair upholstery that I'm worried about. It won't kill me to not have a rocking chair to sit in, but it would sure be nice. Somehow some of the fabric I'd intended to use just up and disappeared. So that one's on hold for now. I am also staying pretty busy with my church calling. I get to lead music for the little kids in our congregation. It might sound easy, but it's kinda not!! It takes a lot of work and prep and organization to do, and I'm still trying to get in a groove & figure things out. I guess that's it for me. As for Michael, he is taking a class this term. It's a math class--statistics, I think, or something ridiculously hard. He is doing well at his job, and we are so glad to still have work in this stinky economy. I feel very blessed to be able to stay home, too. He also has a church calling that keeps him pretty busy on Sundays. He's the branch clerk, but he does a little of everything--membership, finances, and whatever people come and ask him to do. He also has discovered some fun new hobbies--shooting (we now own 3 guns) and fixing up his '68 Chevy Nova. That's all I can think of that's going on with him.
Well it's late, and I think I've loosely covered all the bases, so off to bed I go!! I have good intentions with this blog, but they say that good intentions pave the road to hell... so I will just post next time I post, whenever that happens to be! ;) Thanks for reading.
3 comments:
Glad for your post, but sorry about the diabetes. Kinda ruins a good pregnancy, huh? Hope all will go well from here on.
Mandy, I am so glad you updated your blog! I love reading it. You have almost inspired me to write in my blog again. I hope everything will smooth out quickly with the diabetes situation. We can't wait to hear news about the arrival of your baby girl!
So... what do you eat?! can't say i'm too familiar with the diet of a diabetic. I want to hang out so let me know what you can eat so I can have some on hand :) I thought this week was wide open for me and then of course life gets in the way again but seriously, we have to hang out before you have the baby cuz we all know that afterwards it will be waaaaaay harder to find the time :( Let me know about the food k?
Post a Comment