Thursday, October 27, 2011

In the market for a sewing machine!

I am looking for a new sewing machine. The one I have is probably 20 years old, and it has done great things, but I think it's time for us to part ways. So I'm asking everybody I can think of--that means YOU!!--what machines I should look into. I've really only ever had experience with Berninas (wonderful machines! I learned to sew on Berninas when I took lessons years ago) and my New Home. Actually I've used machines in school as well, but can't remember what brand they were. The other two brands I'm seeing most often are Brother and Singer. I don't really know much about those brands, so if anyone has experience with them I'd love to hear about it. I am willing to spend a decent bit of money, because having a quality machine is worth a lot to me! I have some big projects coming up (a blind for N's room, re-upholstering my glider chair, and making some diapers for new baby) so I need something heavy duty enough to handle home decorating stuff but "delicate" enough to handle small cute stuff like diapers. :) I don't do much quilting, so I don't really need any of the fancy machines that have things specifically for quilters.

Thanks in advance for your opinions/advice!

8 comments:

Elijah Walker Family said...

I have a singer (it is an old one, but still a singer). I love my machine. I have heard that other people enjoy their newer singers as well.

kate said...

i've only looked for quilting machines, so i'm not much help, but my mom loves her singer.

Amanda said...

I have a brother, and love it. I got mine last year for Christmas and use if often. It's never given me any trouble (although it's only a year old)

Alexis floodeen said...

Hey mandy its alexis. I can't find your phone number and I really need to talk.

Linda said...

I have a brother and even though i've only used it on small projects it has worked really well for me! If you want to try it out let me know and that way you can see if you like it or would rather go a different route. Solvey and me are starting up some sewing crafts so you are welcome to come join us!!!

Ruth said...

I'm not a sewer in any way, shape or form, but Grandma Chris used to sew A LOT and Ilene sewed too. Grandma had a Singer, and I think Ilene has it now,and Grandma has a Viking. I remember taking sewing in Jr. High and we had Viking machinesin the school then. (Back in the day of the dinosaur... Singer was the machine to have until Viking came out, then Viking was the machine to have... In the 70's). Anyway, you could call Grandma or Ilene and they could probably give you a lot of info on those.

Kim said...

I had a brother, and it worked great for awhile. I let my MIL borrow it, and when I got it back it sucked.

My new machine, I have no idea what brand it is, but it is one with all the bells and whistles, (embroidery) and computer etc..

Anyway, my mom always used New Homes, or Singers.

Linda said...

might have to cancel the sewing party this friday... baby is sick and doctor doesn't want her out and about :(