Christiansen Family’s European Vacation
September, 2013
On
Wednesday, September 4, we got up around 3:30 in the morning in order to get
ready for our 8 AM flight. We had to hurry and pack up the last minute stuff,
get dressed, eat, and get the kids awake, dressed, and fed as well. We were
supposed to be to Ammon & Lisa’s house by 5 (I think) but ended up running
late.
Fortunately,
we had left ourselves a nice big window of time, and we still got to the
airport with plenty of time to get through security. In fact, we had a bit of a
wait. Luckily, PDX has a fun little play area for kids. We all made trips to
the bathroom, and I went in search of some food, still hungry after just a
granola bar (go figure). While I was waiting for my sandwich to be made,
Michael accidentally popped Ellie’s elbow. She was in a lot of pain, plus she
was tired. I gave her some ibuprofen (thank goodness I’d had the sense to bring
it in our carry on stuff), and nursed her to sleep. Any movement whatsoever
would jostle her injured elbow and wake her up crying, so I had to hold her very
carefully. She basically slept on the entire flight (five hours) to
Philadelphia. When we arrived in Philly, we were waiting to disembark, and the
man in front of us overheard us talk about Ellie’s elbow injury. Apparently, he
was a doctor, and explained to Michael how to pop Ellie’s elbow back into place.
Michael popped it back, and suddenly, our miserable little girl was happy
again! We didn’t have to endure another long flight with a miserable child! We
weren’t going to have to seek out a hospital in Spain! Vacation miracle number
one!
While
in Philly, we got a little dinner before our next flight. Thank goodness we
did, because… well, if you’ve ever had airplane food… yeah, it wasn’t good. The
kids were pretty good on the plane. It may help that they are used to the
twelve hour drive to Utah. This flight was an overnighter, about seven hours. We
all slept off and on. There is a nine hour time difference between Oregon and
Madrid, Spain. So we arrived in Madrid just before eight in the morning on
Thursday the fifth. We made it through customs without a hitch. It was
exciting, realizing we were in a different country, on the other side of the
world! And I hadn’t really heard Spain Spanish much, before. They speak rapidly,
and with a pretty different accent from Mexican/South American Spanish, and
they don’t throw in random English words, the way Spanish speakers in the
States often do.
I also
noticed a difference—even just in the airport—in the way they prioritize things
there. It was a bit dirtier and older than airports in the States. Not filthy
and falling apart, or anything. I say this merely as an observation, not a
critique. Actually, I rather admired the fact that they aren’t paying out the
wazoo to keep things “perfect” there. I wonder how much money we spend on
keeping things ultra-clean and brand new in the States. Anyway, we managed to
find this place near the Metro entrance that was able to sell us unlimited
public transport passes, and Madrid tourism passes. And then our public
transport adventure began!
I’ve
actually never been on a subway before. I felt mildly claustrophobic in the
tunnels, and was terrified of any of us falling down onto the tracks, so I
stayed far back. The trains themselves were a lot like the Max trains here in
Portland. It is strange to not see anything but darkness out the windows as you
zip down a train track, not knowing where or how fast you are going. I don’t
remember if we had to switch trains at all, though I suspect we probably did.
Eventually, we got off at the stop Michael said was closest to our hotel. With
our children on our backs, our carry-on backpacks on our fronts, and our heavy
checked bags dragging along behind us, we hiked up the stairs out of the metro.
The very first thing we saw as we got to the top was…
The bull ring!
To be continued....

1 comment:
Can't wait to hear the rest of the story!!! Sounds like quite an adventure! And yes... I'm a bit jealous! :)
Love, Ruth
Post a Comment