Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Home Under Construction

We are doing some house updates, and building a queen loft bed for our little guy!! We are updating the heater in his room and adding a few outlets, and then Michael will start on the queen bed. We have all the lumber for the bed. I am so excited!! I think it is going to be really cool. It's going to have stairs going up to the bed so that it's more little-kid friendly, and we're even going to carpet the stairs so it's a little softer if/when little ones fall down. Then we are going to put the dresser back in the room (right now it's in the kitchen, as the queen mattress is sitting on the floor in that room and it leaves no room for other furniture--thus the loft bed idea) under the bed, and we're going to build a little toy storage shelf/cubby thing to keep the kids' toys in under the bed. And we are going to hang a string of Christmas lights on the underside of the bed, and hang some curtains over the opening. It's going to be an awesome  little fortress!! Oh, and there will be some high railings on the bed so little ones don't fall off. I'll be sure to get some pictures of the bed in the works!! Right now we have a bunch of holes in the walls for the outlets and heater... I won't take pictures of that because it's quite a mess.

I am also working on re-vamping some of my old toys for the kids to enjoy. For my fifth birthday I got a doll pram. I loved that old thing, and it shows. It's a little battered, and 3/4 the wheels are broken. I let a niece have it and she and her brothers played with it and made it a bit more battered. So I decided to spray paint the wicker part pink (it was white) and re-line the inside with some soft fluffy fabric. Then I will add some cute trim around the outside edge to give it a more finished look. The other toy I am re-vamping is a doll cradle my paternal grandpa built me one year for Christmas (I was five or six I think). There are a few rough/sharp bumps on it that need sanded, then I will be spray painting it pink (it's white), too. I will make a little mattress pad covered in soft fluffy fabric to match the pram liner. And probably a pillow and blanket, too. And a few months ago we found a plastic doll high chair at a garage sale for $7! So the kids will have plenty of fun doll furniture to play with. N got a Cabbage Patch doll for his first birthday (we named him Bruce Wayne ;), and we bought a Cabbage Patch doll to give E for her first birthday, too! I can hardly wait to give it to her. I got her one with red hair because I wanted to name it after one of Doctor Who's companions, but I can't decide which one to name her after... do I call her Donna Noble, or Amy Pond? Anyway, the pram has its first coat of paint and is drying out on the back porch. Woohoo!

Here's a picture of N holding Bruce when he first got him. He still loves him.

No comments: